Friday, May 20, 2011

Project 7 Frequency Modulation in Sytrus

For my last project i had many ideas that i threw around. I was thinking that maybe this one should be of a more epic area or a faster beat. I was looking through the presets on Sytrus and noticed that there was one called Arrakeen Tabla which reminded me of the sounds of a Marumba.
The preset isn't always in tune depending on the octave that it is placed in. the lower you go the more in tune the notes all sound together. the higher you go the more likely its going to be out of tune in that octave. I chose a middle octave because it gave enough crunch and enough ping sound that I wanted. I also thought that the after ring of the notes was too open and to out there so I dialed down the reverb and gave it a less spacious area.
when I first heard the sound of this synth I immediately thought happy and kind of in a donkey kong sense but It doesn't sound like donkey Kong. Halfway through I aded a Poizone synth to the mix to give it more depth. The Poizone was harder to figure out because the Arrakeen Tabla want in tune so I had to shift the pitch just slightly up so that the Poizone would sound like the Arrakeen in any octave. I used an automation clip to make the Poizone sound as though it was moving from one headphone to the other. I used FPC drums to give it a speedier sound, kind of like it was rushing and moving.
I wasn't satisfied with most of the sounds till I got to to the break beat and the reggae sound. I liked the break beat as it was I just had to tweak it to make it cut off at the same time as the Arrakeen sound at the end of the first loop. I also used the reggae drums to make a sound that followed (what I want to call the chorus) or loop number 2. The ride symbol hits each beat as the next chord is hit with a harsh sound which I enjoy hearing. I made most of the drums using that sound because it blended well together and didn't sound as though they were choppy pieced together drums. Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment